Friday, December 7, 2012

Review! Lip Swatches! - Chanel Glossimer


The Chanel website says this about their Glossimers:
Gorgeous shimmer and a high-shine glow is delivered effortlessly to lips with just one stroke of this best-selling lipgloss. A wide range of shades, from sheer and natural to sparkling and rich, look beautiful on their own, or over your favorite CHANEL lipstick. Equally beautiful: the conditioning formula's comfort and long wear.
Chanel Glossimer lip gloss makes three appearances in my lip product collection.  I have it in Unity, Spark, and Force (discontinued).  These colors don't look nearly as pretty in the tube as they do on the lip, so I recommend swatching out the colors at the Chanel counter.  For example, Unity looks like it would be very drab, but once you swatch it out, it becomes luminous and juicy-looking.  Force looks like it would be very dark and dreary, but once swatched, it is shimmery and unexpectedly multifaceted at once.
Here are the colors swatched out on my arm, Force, then Spark, and then Unity.  It took a thick layer to make the colors this dark, and look how shiny they are!:
Chanel Glossimer Force, Spark, Unity

Chanel Glossimer Force, Spark, Unity

Unity is a peachy copper color, with matching shimmer.  On my lip, it cancels out much of the pink, and turns up the peach, turning into a very pretty nude color. 

Unity:
Half lip (it is on the left):
Chanel Glossimer Unity
Full lip:
Chanel Glossimer Unity

Spark is a beautiful strawberry jam shade, with copper shimmers.  On my lip, it turns up the pink and red, and is a year-round wearable color.

Spark:
Half lip:
Chanel Glossimer Spark
 Full lip:
Chanel Glossimer Spark

Force is a deep burgundy plum with copper, red, and gold shimmer.  I only wear this color in fall and winter, and the gloss is so pigmented that just a little goes a long way.  So, even though this color is discontinued, I'm not going to run out of it any time soon.  I'm including it in this review, even though it is discontinued, because it shows the range of color depth that Glossimers have; from the sheer nude of Unity, to the traditional pinky-reds of Spark, to the unexpectedly deep Force.

Force:
Half lip:
Chanel Glossimer Force
Full lip:
Chanel Glossimer Force

The Good:
The colors are very pretty, and they do a great job of matching the shimmer to the undertones the gloss will compliment best.  Generally, if you are warm-toned, just try one that has copper shimmer; cool tones can pull off the silver shimmers. 

The color lasts for hours.  Eating a meal will remove it, but otherwise, this stuff sticks around.

The Bad:
It's sticky.  I'm sure that helps it wear for so long, but I don't like the feel of it.  If I wear it on a windy day I make sure all my hair is pulled away from my face, or I'll be picking hair out of my gloss all day. Yuck.

The tubes can get messy and leak.  I've lost some product due to it seeping out of the tube.  If I keep them upright and in a cool location, they do fine.  On their side in a hot car or indoors in winter heating, not so much.  The product also tends to pool around the top of the tube.  If the funnel opening was smaller, I think a lot of this problem would be eliminated.  To try to avoid the buildup, I use the first swipe out of the tube, and then if I need more I take it from what is already in the funnel area.

The Verdict:
I do like these glosses.  They look very high-end on the lip, and you get enough product to feel like you are getting your money's worth.  However, I like to change up my lip products very frequently, usually every day, so I can't justify buying these in any trendy colors.  I'll replace Spark and Unity when they run out, but I don't think I'll buy other colors in the full-size.  If I could get my hands on a mini-size, though, I would definitely buy more colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment